DISPLAY SPACES & COMMUNITY BULLETIN BOARD POLICY
Adopted July, 2021
The Suttons Bay Bingham District Library (“Library”) provides space for exhibits, displays and postings of an educational, informational, cultural, or recreational nature. Display Spaces and Bulletin Boards may also be used for Library purposes such as to display materials from the Library’s collection, or to publicize Library services, collections, or activities. Thus, this Display Spaces and Bulletin Board Policy (“Policy”) does not apply to the Library’s use or co-sponsored use and the Library’s use and co-sponsored use has first priority. When not used for Library sponsored or co-sponsored events, space designated by the Library for public use may be used for exhibits, displays and postings pursuant to this Policy.
- General Requirements:
A. The Display Spaces are limited to the following (“Display Spaces”):
- Display case located in Library entryway.
2. Other areas as designated by Library Director.
B. Bulletin Board space is also limited to the following areas (“Bulletin Boards”):
1.Community Bulletin Board located in Library entryway.
2. Other areas as designated by Library Director.
C. Display Spaces and Bulletin Boards shall be used for displays or postings of an educational, informational, cultural, or recreational nature. Postings, displays or exhibits whose primary purpose is personal, commercial or to proselytize are prohibited.
D. All pre-approved Display Spaces and Bulletin Boards within the Library are open to adults and children of all ages and sensibilities.
E. Display Spaces and Bulletin Boards are available on an equitable basis regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.
F. All exhibits, displays and postings must be preapproved by Library staff to be sure they comply by this policy. Items displayed without approval may be removed.
G. Display Spaces and Bulletin Boards are limited. Materials may not be displayed immediately or for the fully requested duration. No person or organization may use Display Spaces or Bulletin Boards for more than 90 days at a time.
H. The Library does not endorse content nor imply agreement or disagreement with beliefs or viewpoints expressed in the exhibits, displays or postings.
II. Display Spaces:
A. Approval of use of Display Spaces.
- A person or organization (“Exhibitor”) that desires to use the Display Spaces must get approval from the Library Director or approved designee.
- The Library reserves the right to determine at its sole discretion what materials will be displayed as well as scheduling, duration, and assignment of Display Spaces. Requests for displays will be reviewed in light of the Library’s educational, informational, cultural, or recreational purpose and community interest. The limitations on space will also be taken into consideration. Although requests will be taken on a first-come, first served basis, residents of the Library District or organizations based in the Library District (and primarily serving Library District residents) shall have priority. Also, the Library will prioritize those who have not used the space or not recently used the space over those who have used the space more recently
- The Library Director or his/her designee shall make the determination regarding the use of Display Spaces. The Library Director or his/her designee has the right to review the materials, including promotion or publicity materials, in advance.
- The Library reserves the right to remove any item from a Display Space on the above grounds or if the exhibition is a possible safety hazard, is too large for the Display Space, creates a maintenance problem, exceeds acceptable noise and light levels, interferes with the public service or other activities in adjacent Library areas or has been displayed without authorization.
- The Library reserves the right to remove any exhibit or display upon reasonable notice if the Library needs the Exhibit or Display space for Library purposes.
B. Display Guidelines.
- All materials are displayed at the Exhibitor’s own risk. Exhibitors shall understand that the Display Spaces are not locked or secure. The Library is not responsible for any damage, defacement or removal of the Exhibitor’s material. The Exhibitor shall release the Library of liability regarding the materials in the Display Space.
- The Exhibitor must be identified by name within the exhibit or display. The Exhibitor may also include contact information.
- The Exhibitor is responsible for installing and labeling the exhibit or display on the agreed upon date. The Exhibitor may not change the exhibit or display without the Library Director’s approval.
- All exhibits or displays must be set up and removed with as little interference as possible to the daily operations of the Library. Once the exhibit or display is installed, changes may be made only with Library approval. Library staff will not assist with the set-up, installation or removal.
- The Exhibitor shall remove the exhibit or display promptly on the agreed upon date at the end of the scheduled period.
- The Library has the right to remove exhibit or display materials if they are not picked up by the agreed upon date. Exhibit materials may be disposed of if not claimed within 30 days after the scheduled display period.
- Exhibitors may not charge an admission fee or request donations. The Exhibitor’s may not affix any prices or sell any items at the Library.
- Damages to the premises, equipment or furnishings as a result of the Exhibitor’s use will be charged to the Exhibitor.
- The Library does not endorse content nor imply agreement or disagreement with beliefs or viewpoints expressed in the exhibit or displays materials.
III. Bulletin Board Space.
- All notices for the Bulletin Board are to be given to the Library Director or approved designee for approval and posting pursuant to this Policy.
- Materials shall be posted for no more than 90 days after receipt. Time sensitive material shall also be removed the day following the announced event or final date listed on the document.
- Materials posted are limited to postings that are educational, informational, cultural, or recreational in nature. Postings whose primary purpose is personal, commercial or to proselytize are prohibited.
- There is a limit of one posting per sponsor at a time on the Bulletin Board. Items must contain the name of the sponsor of that item. Items may not be larger than 8 ½ x 11 inches, unless space permits. Multiple copies of the same item may not be posted.
- Any postings that violate Michigan law or would cause the Library to violate Michigan law are not permitted.
- The Library does not permit petitioning, solicitation or distribution of literature, leaflets or similar types of appeals in the Bulletin Board.
- Posting of materials does not necessarily indicate the Library’s endorsement of the issue or events promoted by these materials
IV. Right of Appeal
Any person or organization aggrieved by the Director or designee’s decision regarding the use of the Bulletin Board or Display Spaces may appeal that decision to the Suttons Bay Bingham District Library Board (“Library Board”). Such appeal shall be made within ten (10) business days of the decision. The appeal letter must indicate it is an appeal and be sent to the Library Director. The person or organization must include the reasons for the appeal. The decision of the Library Board is final.